Experiencing 'Cellular Plans Cannot be Added' Error | How to Fix It?
Have you ever tried adding a new cellular plan to your phone and got a message saying, "Cellular Plans From This Carrier Cannot be Added"? If yes, you're not alone. This message can be confusing and frustrating, especially when you're unsure what it means or how to fix it. This error is commonly encountered by iPhone users trying to set up an eSIM. eSIMs are handy for switching between carriers or using multiple numbers, but sometimes, things go differently than planned.
The good news is that this error message is usually something you can fix yourself with a few troubleshooting steps. It's important to understand that this problem is common and common. Many people run into this issue, and in most cases, it can be resolved without needing to visit a store or call customer service. In the following article, we'll explore some common causes of this error and provide step-by-step guidance on how to fix it.
Checking Carrier Lock Status
If you're having trouble adding a cellular plan to your iPhone, it might be due to a carrier lock. Here's a simple way to check if your iPhone is locked to a specific carrier:
- Open Your iPhone's Settings: Tap on the 'Settings' app on your iPhone.
- Go to 'General': Find and select 'General' in the Settings menu. This section contains various details about your iPhone.
- Tap on 'About': Inside General, you'll see an option called 'About.' Tap on it to view more information about your device.
- Find 'Carrier Lock' Status: In the 'About' section, scroll down until you find 'Carrier Lock'. Next to it, you'll see the status of your phone.
- Check the Status: If it says 'No SIM restrictions,' your iPhone is unlocked. This means you can use it with any carrier. Your iPhone is likely locked to a specific carrier if it shows anything else.
Knowing whether your iPhone is carrier-locked is crucial, especially if you plan to switch carriers or travel abroad. If your iPhone is locked, you should contact your current carrier to unlock it before you can use a new SIM card or eSIM.
Restarting Your Device as a Primary Solution
When you encounter the "Cellular Plans From This Carrier Cannot be Added" error on your phone, one of the simplest yet effective steps is to restart your device. This might sound too basic, but a quick reboot can often solve a range of minor glitches and errors, including this one.
Here's how you can do it and why it works:
Why Restarting Helps
- Clears Temporary Glitches: Restarting your phone clears out temporary glitches in the system that might be causing the error.
- Refreshes Network Connection: It also refreshes your network connections, which might be necessary if the error is related to network issues.
- Resets System Processes: System processes related to cellular connectivity may not be working correctly. Restarting helps to reset these processes.
Once your device is back on, try adding the cellular plan again. In many cases, this simple step can resolve the error. If the problem persists, it may be due to other issues like carrier restrictions or network lock, which require further troubleshooting.
Network-Locked Device Issues
When you see the message "Cellular Plans From This Carrier Cannot be Added" on your phone, it often means your phone is network-locked. Let's break down what this means and how you can fix it.
What is a Network-Locked Device?
A network-locked device is a phone that is tied to a specific carrier's network. It means your phone can only use the services of the carrier it's locked to. This is common when you buy a phone through a carrier's plan. To check How to check Your carrier status, read the 2nd section.
Solutions for Network-Locked Devices
- Contact Your Carrier: If your phone is network-locked, the first step is to contact your current carrier. They can provide information on whether your phone can be unlocked.
- Unlocking Your Phone: In many cases, carriers will unlock your phone after certain conditions are met, like completing your contract or paying off your phone.
- Check Eligibility for Unlocking: Each carrier has a phone-locking policy. It's essential to check if you meet their criteria.
Troubleshooting 'Unable to Complete Cellular Plan Change' Error
If you're getting the 'Unable to Complete Cellular Plan Change' error on your iPhone. Don't worry; you can try several simple steps to fix it.
Here's what you can do:
- Restart Your Device: Sometimes, the simplest solution is the most effective. Turning your iPhone off and back on can clear up many minor glitches, including this error. Just press and hold the power button, slide to power off, and then turn it back on after a few seconds.
- Check for System Updates: Make sure your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Outdated software can sometimes cause issues with cellular plans. Go to Settings, then General, and tap on Software Update to see if there's a new version available.
- Verify Your Account Status: It's important to ensure that your cellular plans are properly set up and that there are no billing or account restrictions issues.
- Check the Cellular Network: Sometimes, network problems can prevent a cellular plan from being added or changed. Ensure you have a good signal, and try switching to a different network if possible.
- Contact Your Cellular Provider: If you've tried all the above steps and still can't resolve the issue, it's time to contact your cellular provider. They can offer more specific guidance and help troubleshoot the problem.
- Factory Reset (as a Last Resort): If nothing else works, you might need to factory reset your iPhone. This will erase all your data and settings, so backing up your phone first is essential. To reset, Go to Settings, General, Reset, and choose Erase All Content and Settings.
Factors Contributing to the 'Cellular Plans From This Carrier Cannot be Added' Error
The "Cellular Plans From This Carrier Cannot be Added" error can happen for several reasons. Let's look at some of the main factors that might cause this issue:
- Device Compatibility: Only some phones work with some carriers or cellular plans. If your phone doesn't support the plans offered by your carrier, you might see this error. Check Your device’s Compatibility here. Or Learn How to check eSIM Compatibility with iPhone. And Esim support for Android.
- Account Restrictions: Sometimes, your account might have certain limits or problems. For example, if you haven't paid your phone bill or there's a delay in activating your account, this could lead to an error.
- Carrier Support and Compatibility: Some carriers might not support certain types of phones or plans. If your phone is from a different carrier or a less familiar brand, the new carrier might not be able to add their plan to your phone.
- Network Coverage: If you're in a place with weak or no network signal, your phone might struggle to add a new plan.
- SIM Restrictions: Your phone might have restrictions related to the SIM card. This is often the case if your phone is locked to a specific carrier.
- eSIM Issues: If you're trying to add an eSIM (a digital SIM card), there might be specific problems related to this technology. For example, if the QR code for the eSIM isn't working right or your phone's software isn't up to date, you might see the error.
- Pending Updates or Glitches: Sometimes, the problem is as simple as updating your phone's software. Other times, a minor glitch in the system might be causing the error.
Common QR Code Issues with eSIMs
When adding a cellular plan with an eSIM, scanning a QR code is a key step. However, users often encounter issues during this process. Let's focus on these QR code-related problems and their solutions:
1. QR Code Not Scanning:
Camera Issues: Sometimes, the phone's camera might not recognize the QR code. This can be due to a dirty lens or camera malfunction. Cleaning the lens or trying a different camera app can help.
QR Code Quality: If the QR code is blurry, wrinkled, or partially obscured, it won't scan properly. Ensure the QR code is clear and undamaged.
2. Invalid QR Code Error:
QR codes for eSIMs are typically valid for a single use. If you attempt to scan it multiple times, it may show as invalid. In such cases, contact your carrier for a new QR code.
3. QR Code Already Used:
If you receive a message indicating the QR code has already been used, the eSIM may be already installed. Check your phone's settings to confirm if the eSIM profile is active.
4. Incompatible QR Code Format:
Some QR codes might not be formatted correctly for your device. This is rare but can happen with codes not explicitly designed for your phone model or operating system.
5. QR Code Scans but No Activation:
- Activation Delay: Sometimes, the eSIM activates a few moments after scanning. If there's no immediate response, wait a bit before trying again.
- Carrier Issues: If the QR code scans but the eSIM doesn't activate, the issue might be on the carrier's end. Contacting them for support can resolve this.
6. Environmental Factors:
- Lighting Conditions: Poor lighting can affect the camera's ability to scan the QR code. Try scanning in a well-lit area.
- Screen Glare: If scanning from another screen, glare can prevent proper scanning. Adjusting the screen angle or brightness can help.
Video Guides for Fixing the Error
If you're stuck with the "Cellular Plans From This Carrier Cannot be Added" error on your iPhone, don't worry! Some helpful video guides on YouTube can walk you through the steps to fix this issue. Let's take a look at a couple of them:
1."Cellular Plan Cannot Be Added iPhone (FIXED)"
This video is a practical guide showing how to tackle the issue. It's straightforward to follow, making it perfect for anyone, regardless of their tech skills. You can watch it here
2. "E-Sim Cellular Plans Cannot Be Added On iPhone (Fixed)"
Another great resource is this video, which explicitly addresses problems with eSIMs and provides clear instructions on resolving them. It's ideal if you're new to eSIM technology or are trying to understand why your iPhone gives you this error.
These videos are a great starting point because they offer visual step-by-step instructions. Watching someone else go through the process can be much more helpful than reading about it. You can pause and replay the steps as often as needed, ensuring you get it right.
Conclusion and Additional Tips
As we wrap up our discussion on the "Cellular Plans From This Carrier Cannot be Added" error, it's important to remember a few key points and additional tips that can help you navigate this issue more effectively.
Stay Calm and Patient
First and foremost, encountering this error can be frustrating, but staying calm is crucial. Often, the solution is more straightforward than it seems.
Seek Help When Needed
Contact EsimCard: Our customer service can provide clarity if you need clarification about your phone's lock status or SIM restrictions.
Technical Support: For persistent issues, consider contacting our technical support at Support eSimCard
Keep your phone's software up to date. Sometimes, these errors are resolved through updates released by the manufacturer. Be aware of your carrier's policies regarding eSIMs and plan additions. Policies can vary significantly between carriers.